This year we were going to try something "different". The last few years we've tried other stuff including ice skating, gingerbread house decorating competitions, etc. But this year my mom had a perfect idea of going on a treasure hunt. My mom made a map and everything on a sheet with cute picture clues----so cute! One of the cool things about the hunt was that we were accomplishing things as went you could say (delivering a couple of presents for my moms friends, seeing my grandma/grandpa and aunt Leanna). Then the darn weather suggested other plans. It was a BLIZZARD here. Our first stop was going to be a drive thru light park just off the freeway in Willard. Then when we heard of bad weather, hence bad roads (Sardine Canyon), we were going to plan B which was sledding on Old Main Hill. We probably could have pulled that one off but we weren't dying to be on the roads or get pelted in the face with snow. Plan C- we decided to just go to my Grandma Shirleens and sing (scary) for her and just visit. She wasn't planning on going anywhere and her house used to be Christmas Eve Central. We were a little worried about the roads since she lives up 2 steep hills, but Providence City was a step ahead and the roads were perfect. My grandma's driveway.......a different story!
*****Side note-this is my aunt Leanna that has been doing dialysis for months now and is awaiting a kidney transplant. More to come about that----because the donor is my DAD!!!!!! He is waiting until after he takes the family to Disneyland (our Christmas present) before the transplant will happen. I am sooooo nervous!
We had a great visit with them and got lots of pictures. My mom also had a clever idea to take up my Polaroid camera so we could leave them pictures also. My grandma told me we wouldn't have any idea how much that meant to them. It was so fun to see them and be with them. Even if they had to deal with all our crazy kids.
We then sang them a couple of Christmas carols and were on our way, HAH, so we thought. Turns out that the little treasure hunt happened, just in a different way. My brother Jas was trying to be funny and kept trying to make it up my grandma's steep driveway that was a flipping ice rink under all that snow (I think 5 of us fell before even making into her house, which was pretty funny i might add, cuz i didn't fall amazingly enough). Well he slipped back and almost hit a brick pillar she has, and got stuck. When we were ready to leave all the men went to push him out. They did it but Joey who is newly married to Heidi flipped his hand to get the snow off and off flew his new wedding ring!!! We all searched for awhile then decided to take the freezing kids home and let them open some presents. The guys went back to find the ring which amazingly (after ice melt, some torch thing, and then a metal detector) was found. That was our treasure hunt...... Pretty exciting I might add.
Jamma with all the grandkids but Maecee (asleep) and Caileb (with his mom). L to R Ethan, Tawnee, Cole, Kaidin, Mckenna, Rhett, Jayden.
This was an awesome present to the kids from their Jamma. A homemade afghan that came with books to snuggle up and read with. Each one was different. (i.e. Ethans had a strip of black and white to signify his mom liking the smell of skunk :)) It was a HUGE hit with the kids. All three of my kids sleep with theirs everynight. Nothing store bought could have beat this! BIG , HUGE thanks to Jamma!
3 comments:
What great stories you always have on your blog! It was so good to see you quickly the other day, I love your blog to keep up! I didn't know your sis got married--or did I? It's been too long. When are you going to Disneyland, how awesome!
DISNEYLAND END OF FEBRUARY! Yahoo---Heidi and Joey can't stay the whole week (cuz of work), so I told them to leave Kaidin with me. Heidi said ok but only if you don't lose him or leave him in the stroller like you did to Ethan,
(last time we went, Eth was sleeping, we were running 4 a show and I thought Brett had him, he thought I had him! We had a stroller from disneyland, so you can guess how hard it was to find my sleeping Eth in a sea of strollers that all look exactly alike. Luckily it didn't take long for us to realize he was gone. Usually I would blame it on brett :), but it was fully my fault! He had the bag, camera, everything else.)I've already had a nightmare that I lost Ethan again, so maybe Kaidin wouldn't be too safe with me. I can't even keep track of my own kids! :)
I'm also not sure if all of us will be talking by the time we've spent a week together but we'll see! Actually the scary thought is that the kids outnumber the adults! SCARY!!!!
Kelly-I blogged about Heidi's wedding back in Aug/Sept. You can probably find it in archives??? Or old posts?
With this type of admission, you probably won't be asked to watch the neighbors dog! Those are the good things to think about.
Good Luck Heidi!
Post a Comment